Thing 14: Explore Classroom2.0, ISenet and other Networks

My exploration of classroom 2.0 is not different from what I thought before. I guess, by now I have explored so many social networks and get used to find cool stuffs every network I searched. However, I thought the course I am taking is  the only resource for web 2.0 . I did not know a web 2.0 Class roomwebsite that any one can join and learn.

Any way, I went through couple articles on Web 2.0 and I liked them very much. In web 2.0, there are so many educators who post articles, questions, and other important information for learning purpose. One of the articles which I was impressed was posted by Karen Cameron on July 31, 2013 which says 3 ways to reclaim and maintain your passion for Teaching.  She said, “Teaching is a passionate profession: it demands a love of learning, a love of people, and a passion for intellectual and emotional engagement.” According to Karen, the three ways she thinks we can reclaim and maintain our passion for Teaching are excitement about the subject we teach, finding out what drives us to become a particular subject, and participation outside of our profession. She believes by applying these three things in our classroom with our students, we can have more participation and involvement from our students. I completely agree with what she said, because we teachers need to think out side of the box why and how we should  engage our students and continue be passionate about our profession.

I also checked  on web 2.0 classroom the Do’s and Don’ts on Social Media. Of course, I think I know what to do on Social Media in general, but when I see things clearly with acceptable reasons  how  I should maintain and react on social media, it is always helpful. some of the Do’s on the social networks are; have a picture on your profile, ask for testimonial or feed back, update your post regularly, be responsive, answer peoples questions, and  have a consistent personal brand. And some of the Don’ts are; do not change your profile photo or icon too frequently, do not ask for money, do not disappear from the net work, do not respond quickly for negative comments, and do not post any thing that you will regret for later. I found out this is a good reminder for me and my students, because  as a human being I can make mistakes without paying attention what might be the consequences.

Another article I read from web 2.0 class room was How should Social Media taught in school.  The article says, “According the research, students use social media for personal reasons, but rarely for educational or learning purposes.” Therefore, it is schools responsibility how to appropriately uses social media by students. Teachers have to teach and guide their students how to use social media  not only for personal reasons but also for the purpose of learning as well.  If schools give the opportunity  of social media for the students , they will learn more while they are having fun. Because the social learning will give them two main benefits; audience and purpose. Students will reach across the globe through their posts and blogs not only their peers and friends around their community. Once they know their audience can be any body including their parents, then they will be proud of their work and post then start to think the purpose of the post that will lead them to the ownership of the learning and responsibility of the work. Before they post their work, they will start to ask themselves the following questions, ” is my work original and creative? what my audience will gain from my project? Will it make a positive impact? should I re-write it different way?”  By getting the opportunity of thinking critically, I am sure many of students will definitely learn more and have fun at the same time.

While I was exploring the web 2.0, I also came across to the Independent school educators network where anybody can join and get some  educational articles, curriculum improvements, community building resources, school improvement, student- teacher relationship, suggestions  and ideas, comments, and other school  related news and information.  Mainly, it is the website where we teachers can go and research what we may need or what area we many need help in order to improve the effectiveness  of our instruction. I also checked the kidsblog where many social media educators recommend to use it for the first time users, because it is safe and simple for students to master the social learning. Once they are comfortable with kids blog, then they can create any other social medias.

Quite surprisingly, I found many of the articles in  independent school educators network in my Feedly reader. I think before I knew the independent school educators network website, I already copy and paste some educational articles and related websites on my Feedly reader. One of the articles which I like most from my Feedly reader  and I feel I am going to use it for the first day of school is 10 Tips to a successful First day school.  This  article was posted by Sam Rangel on July 16, 2013  at  successful teaching blogs post. Even though, I think I know what I need to do as a veteran teacher for the first week of the school,  It is always helpful to see what other teachers do and why they  are doing it and which has more beneficial than the others. This tips are as follows:

1 thought on “Thing 14: Explore Classroom2.0, ISenet and other Networks

1. I appreciate the summaries you provided for each article you read and know that all three are so important. I especially like the summary you provided on passionately teaching. Today it is very difficult holding on to the passion we first felt when we joined the profession. There are so many obstacles that want to block that joy, but if our students are going to be successful and value learning, we Must push forward and find that passion hidden deep within our souls.